The Murder of Meredith Kercher
Meredith Kercher 1985-2007
Read full mission statement
Were Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede responsible for the death of Meredith Kercher? This wiki style site was created by a group of volunteer editors to inform the public about the case, by providing a unique collection of translations of original documents and evidence presented at trial.
Rudy Guede was convicted for his part in the murder in October 2008 (confirmed by the Supreme Court of Cassation in December 2010). In a separate trial, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were found guilty in December 2009 by the 1st instance court of Judge Massei. A subsequent appeal resulted in their convictions being (provisionally) overturned for the most part, in October 2011. This court upheld Amanda's conviction for calunnia, and increased her sentence to one commensurate with the time she had served so far.
This decision was appealed again by three sides: the prosecution and lawyers representing the Kercher family against the murder acquittal, and Amanda against her calunnia conviction. On March 26, 2013 the Supreme Court of Cassation finalized the calunnia conviction, nullified the acquittal, and ordered a new appeal. This appeal was held in Florence, starting in September 2013 and resulted in Knox and Sollecito's convictions being upheld.
RIP, Meredith Kercher
For The Press
|Knox and Sollecito's appeal to the Supreme Court of Cassation of Italy will be heard on March 25, 2015. It is not known whether Sollecito will attend the appeal. Knox on the other hand has said she would not be returning to Italy, and will fight any request for extradition. See Extradition Explained.
We have built up a unique collection of source documents relating to the case, including a near-complete set of original transcripts of witness testimony and court decisions from all the major court proceedings. As of 2015, we have added a new area known as the File library, where one can download these documents, images and other types of files, directly and indirectly related to the case. They are organized by principal topics and subtopics. The headings also reflect a little of the chronological development of the case. The links provided are to files that can be downloaded. For some sections where files are numerous, zip files are provided that contain the relevant individual files. The library will be an ongoing project, and we will post updates to the library here.
Latest files include photos of the crime scene taken by police on November 2 and 3, 2007, and later on December 18th, 2007. These can be found under the '2007 investigations' section.
Latest Tweets from the Court of Cassation, March 25, 2015
Go to the Supreme Court of Cassation March 25, 2015 page for the full set of today's tweets,
including those from our own citizen journalist, Kristeva, who is present in court. Only the most recent tweets are shown here.
Live tweets from the court have stopped. We'll expect an update when they stop for a break.
- @KristevaPMF: Avv. Maresca has arrived. #amandaknox
- @KristevaPMF: I was expecting a larger crowd between public and reporters #amandaknox
- @KristevaPMF: #RaffaeleSollecito smiling and looking very relaxed. #amandaknox
- @BLNadeau: Rome high court in session. Phone/tweeting not allowed in court. #MeredithKercher #AmandaKnox #RaffaeleSollecito
- The Appeals of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito against the confirmation of their guilty verdicts in the trial of the first stage by Appellate Judge Nencini will be heard by Rome's Supreme Court of Cassation on March 25, 2015. Knox will be represented by attorneys Carlo Della Vadova and Luciano Ghirga, and Sollecito by Giulia Bongiorno and Luca Maori.
- Raffaele Sollecito is also being investigated in a preliminary hearing on charges of defamation brought against him by Umbrian Deputy Prosecutor General Giuliano Mignini for statements made in his book Honor Bound, mainly that Mignini entered into discussions with his lawyer Luca Maori to arrange a plea bargain. This has been denied by Mignini, and disavowed by his father and lawyer, since such pleas are illegal under Italian law. His co-writer, Andrew Gumbel, has contested the charges, saying he was merely a ghost writer for Sollecito.
- Latest: Raffaele Sollecito filed a new, additional 306 page appeal on March 06, 2015, distancing himself from Amanda Knox, while referring to Rudy Guede's statements: 2015-03-06-Appeal-Supplementare-Bongiorno-Maori-Sollecito.pdf
|Transcripts & Translations
Transcripts, witness and professional expert statements, closing arguments, and rebuttals during the various trials. Summaries are in English and we are working towards translating all the transcripts into English. For transcripts not yet translated users of Chrome browser will allow you to machine translate the Italian transcripts into English or any language of your choice.|
Latest: New translation of Raffaele Sollecito's Nov 6th 2007 Statement to the Police
|A brief introduction to the Italian criminal justice system for readers more familiar with the Common Law system, as well as English translations of all the sentencing (Motivations) reports pertaining to the various trials Court Decisions. Please note that Italy has a three tier system, so the conviction is not finalized till the Supreme Court confirms the judgment of the appeal court. See particularly:
Published with gratitude to the team of unpaid translators and proofreaders at Perugia Murder File.
What's New at TMOMK Wiki?
- March 18, 2015: Sallyoo from PerguiaMurderFile.Org has completed a translation of pages 144-173 of Amanda Knox's testimony to the Massei court. We now have the complete translation of that testimony.
- March 15, 2015: This Wiki now has a "share it" button in the heading and also on the navigation pane to the left. This makes it easier to post individual articles on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ etc and share by e-mail to reporters and news editors.