The Murder of Meredith Kercher
Meredith Kercher 1985-2007
Read full mission statement
Were Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede responsible for the death of Meredith Kercher? This wiki style site was created by a group of volunteer editors to inform the public about the case, by providing a unique collection of translations of original documents and evidence presented at trial.
It is also our mission to counter the misreporting that has characterized this case, fueled by PR agency spin, Knox family misrepresentations, and political interference in a judicial process. Justice, and the victims of crime, deserve no less.
Rudy Guede was convicted for his part in the murder in October 2008 (confirmed by the Supreme Court of Cassation in December 2010, which held he committed the crime in conjunction with others). In a separate trial, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were found guilty in December 2009 by the 1st instance court of Judge Massei. A subsequent appeal resulted in their convictions being (provisionally) overturned for the most part, in October 2011. This court upheld Amanda's conviction for calunnia, and increased her sentence to one commensurate with the time she had served so far.
This decision was appealed again by three sides: the prosecution and lawyers representing the Kercher family against the murder acquittal, and Amanda against her calunnia conviction. On March 26, 2013 the Supreme Court of Cassation finalized the calunnia conviction, nullified the acquittal, and ordered a new appeal. This appeal was held in Florence, starting in September 2013 and resulted in Knox and Sollecito's convictions being upheld.
On March 27, 2015 the Court of Cassation in a surprise decision acquitted Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. This is a final decision on the murder conviction. Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito face charges for defaming prosecutor G. Mignini in their books. With respect to the murder of Meredith Kercher, there will be no further criminal consequences for Knox and Sollecito, though further civil actions are possible. The motivation report explaining the court's decision was filed September 07, 2015.
The outcome is disappointing. It is our sincere and confident position that Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede all participated in the murder of Meredith Kercher. Our intentions in starting this site were to create an accurate and complete English version of the material generated by the court proceedings. We intend to continue with that objective by posting all available files and transcripts. Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been found not guilty by the Italian criminal justice system so the legal process is over but this site will remain for those who are interested in examining the evidence.
RIP, Meredith Kercher
For The Press
- September 15, 2017: The Supreme Court Motivations Report giving the reasons for refusing Raffaele Sollecito’s appeal was filed. Italian version can be read here:La quarta sezione penale della Corte di Cassazione con la sentenza n 42014 del 28 giugno 2017 (Right click to translate).
- May 04, 2017: An op ed Donald Trump supported me when I was wrongly accused of murder. Do I owe him my loyalty? by Amanda Knox appeared in The Los Angeles Times. This was in response to an April 14, 2017 article by Jason Horowitz of The New York Times in which President Trump was said to be “very upset” with Ms. Knox's 'ingratitude'. Ms. Knox admitted he financially assisted her legal defense, but still personally criticized him in her Netflix documentary and newspaper columns, stating "It’ll be an historic moment when Hillary wins. But she doesn’t just have to defeat a man to become the first female President. She has to defeat the Worst Man, the most misogynistic man imaginable."
- March 17, 2017: Professor Saul Kassin of John Jay College, appearing with Amanda Knox at the American Psychology Law Society Conference 2017 in Seattle, repeated the misinformation she had been questioned for 50 hrs, thus leading to her "False Confession" (actually, an accusation of an innocent man). This myth was spread by her parents and defense lawyers to the media. An analysis of witness statements and telephone records including her own shows that figure is grossly inflated. Professor Kassin is invited to respond to the open letter published here at Perugia Murder File
- February 28, 2017: A copy of the English language translation of the Florence Court's decision has been attached to the Wiki. With thanks for the voluntary translators of Perugiamurderfile.Org 
- February 11, 2017: Raffaele Sollecito's request for 516,000 Euros compensation for wrongful detention/imprisonment has been denied by the Florence Court of Appeals. It noted he had 'changed his stories many times' and ordered he pay the court costs 
- October 15, 2016: Internet poster @Justice4Knox who is associated with her case website claims on Twitter that Meredith Kercher's father John Kercher is a "troll obsessed with Amanda Knox". These allegations against the Kerchers by prominent supporters of Amanda Knox, FBI agent Steve Moore, her attorney Anne Bremner's brother Doug Bremner and Dr. David Anderson et al for the past several years are false. The Kerchers are not involved in an online campaign against Knox. In fact, John Kercher, suffered two strokes after his daughter's murder, and attacking the family in this manner is beyond the bounds of decency..
- October 03, 2016: Review of the biased and inaccurate documentary "Amanda Knox" posted at Internet Movie Data Base.
- September 09, 2016: Netflix documentary "Amanda Knox" opened at the Toronto International Film Festival Amanda Knox. While claiming to be balanced its producer Stephen Robert Morse had made inflammatory reports about the prosecutor Giuliano Mignini of "having been convicted of crimes" (he was acquitted) and being "a power-hungry prosecutor running the show". Producer Mette Heide has not responded to concern about bias.
- June 30, 2016: Italian newspapers Corriere Della Sera report that Rudy Guede's attorneys Thomas Pietrocarlo and Monica Grossi, will be filing an appeal against his definitive sentence in the court of Assizes of Appeal in Florence. This appeal will be based on Art. 630.1 of the Italian penal code, which allows a review when the basis of the sentence is in conflict with another finalized judgment. This focuses on "the conflict of judgment" between the ruling that acquitted Raffaele Sollecito and Amanda Knox, and the one with which he was sentenced that states he did not act alone,.
- May 20, 2016: Amanda Knox supporter Lyn Duncan of New Zealand posts nude pictures of Meredith Kercher's body that had been released to Italian TV by the defense at Twitter account Dougall Tweets & Replies. This disrespect towards a murder victim and her family has been repeated numerous times over the course of the trial by people known to Amanda Knox.
- January 21, 2016: Rudy Guede, in an interview with Italy's RAI TV3 Le rivelazioni di Rudy Guede - Storie maledette accused Amanda Knox of being at the scene of the crime as well as Raffaele Sollecito, noting their presence had been confirmed by the Supreme Court ruling of March 26, 2015. He apologized to the Kerchers for not doing enough to help their daughter, but also denied having murdered her, and protested he should not be the only one to be imprisoned for it. He demanded a retrial of the facts. This interview, viewed by 1.5 million households in Italy with a share of 5.32%, has now been picked up by 400+ media outlets world-wide.
- September 07, 2015: The motivations report shows the court ruled on the evidentiary merits of the case as opposed to its legality. Moreover, it does not resolve the contradiction between precedents established by previous Supreme Court rulings on this case.
- March 30, 2015: Supreme Court judge Gennaro Marasca Amanda Knox e Raffaele Sollecito, le prove erano insufficienti declared the court had found Knox and Sollecito not guilty due to insufficient evidence. (Art. 530.2 of the Italian penal code). This contradicts Knox's claim of "innocence", which would be a finding under Art. 530.1.
We have built up a unique collection of source documents relating to the case, including a near-complete set of original transcripts of witness testimony and court decisions from all the major court proceedings. As of 2015, we have added a new area known as the File library, where one can download these documents, images and other types of files, directly and indirectly related to the case. They are organized by principal topics and subtopics. The headings also reflect a little of the chronological development of the case. The links provided are to files that can be downloaded. For some sections where files are numerous, zip files are provided that contain the relevant individual files. The library will be an ongoing project, and we will post updates to the library here:
File library: Master list
What's New at TMOMK Wiki?
- September 15, 2016 Italian sources inform us the Dept. Of Justice has filed a response to the ECHR communication of April 29, 2016. (As of September 2017 no ruling of admissibility has been made by the court).
- May 20, 2016: ECHR communication of April 29, 2016 concerning Amanda Knox's 2013 application to appeal her calunnia conviction to the European Court of Human Rights has been added to the Wiki. It can be found on the Translations & Transcripts page under ECHR Court Documents. The court cannot overturn a national court's ruling, only hold her human rights were violated or dismiss the case. Therefore, regardless of which way it rules, Ms. Knox will still have to pay the damages of 42,000 Euros awarded to Patrick Lumumba, the man she falsely accused of murdering Meredith Kercher and causing him to lose his business.
- February 21, 2016: Translation of The Micheli Sentencing Report (apart from the costs and compensation orders, which will be translated later on) has been added to the Wiki, courtesy of Catnip.
- January 22, 2016: Latest update to File library: Master list includes a quick short list of Guede depositions, testimony and statements.
- January 21, 2016: Update for Rudy Guede interview.
- September 18, 2015: A translation of Natalie Hayward's Testimony has been added to the Wiki.
- September 13, 2015: Wiki members have translated Aida Colantone's and Edda Mellas's witness testimonies.
- September 12, 2015: The latest Supreme Court report (in Italian) was added to the Wiki.
- August 9, 2015: File Library is undergoing changes to make the documents more accessible to readers.
- May 17, 2015: New files have been posted to File library: 2007 Investigations: Police work.
- May 16, 2015: Wiki translation of Rudy-Benedetti Skype chat on November 19, 2007.
- November 01, 2015: The English translation of the 5th chambers report acquitting Knox and Sollecito was added to the Wiki. It was not an exoneration, but an acquittal due to insufficient evidence under Italian law.
- September 12, 2015:The delayed motivations report (in Italian) was finally published on September 7, 2015 and it has been added to the Wiki. The court decided that while there was evidence Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were present in the cottage during the murder the case they committed the crime was unproven.
- March 28, 2015: The judges who vacated the conviction were quoted in the Guardian as saying that Rudy Guede did not act alone but that the identity of Guede's accomplices has yet to be discovered. We find that anyone who takes the time to read the evidence will disagree with them. An investigation into the identity of these unknown accomplices has not been opened.
- The court vacated the conviction of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. We are disappointed in this surprising outcome and our sympathies are with the Kercher family.
- The Appeals of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito against the confirmation of their guilty verdicts in the trial of the first stage by Appellate Judge Nencini were heard by Rome's Supreme Court of Cassation on March 25, 2015. Knox was represented by attorneys Carlo dalla Vedova and Luciano Ghirga, and Sollecito by Giulia Bongiorno and Luca Maori. Final arguments were heard at 9:00 AM CET March 27, 2015. In an unprecedented move, Bongiorno was allowed to speak for two hours instead of the 15 minutes normally allowed for closing.
- Raffaele Sollecito is also being investigated in a preliminary hearing on charges of defamation brought against him by Umbrian Deputy Prosecutor General Giuliano Mignini for statements made in his book Honor Bound, mainly that Mignini entered into discussions with his lawyer Luca Maori to arrange a plea bargain. This has been denied by Mignini, and disavowed by his father and lawyer, since such pleas are illegal under Italian law. His co-writer, Andrew Gumbel, has contested the charges, saying he was merely a ghost writer for Sollecito. They have now been ordered to stand trial May 13, 2016, in Florence. (Andrea Vogt, Twitter) 
- Raffaele Sollecito filed a new, additional 306 page appeal on March 06, 2015, distancing himself from Amanda Knox, while referring to Rudy Guede's statements: 2015-03-06-Appeal-Supplementare-Bongiorno-Maori-Sollecito.pdf
|Transcripts & Translations
Transcripts, witness and professional expert statements, closing arguments, and rebuttals during the various trials. Summaries are in English and we are working towards translating all the transcripts into English. For transcripts not yet translated users of Chrome browser will allow you to machine translate the Italian transcripts into English or any language of your choice.|
|A brief introduction to the Italian criminal justice system for readers more familiar with the Common Law system, as well as English translations of all the sentencing (Motivations) reports pertaining to the various trials Court Decisions. Please note that Italy has a three tier system, so the conviction is not finalized till the Supreme Court confirms the judgment of the appeal court. See particularly:
- The Marasca-Bruno Report (English): translation of the 5th Chamber's reasoning report acquitting Knox and Sollecito under Art. 530.2 of the Penal Code due to insufficient evidence.
Published with gratitude to the team of translators and proofreaders at the Perugia Murder File and True Justice For Meredith Kercher websites.