The Bathmat Footprint
The evidence becomes even clearer when the metrics are put into tabular form:
The correlation of the bloody footprint to the right foot of Raffaele Sollecito is extremely high in twelve separate individual measurements. In addition, there is a manifest lack of correlation to the right foot of Rudy Guede. Not only are some of the individual measurements of Rudy’s imprint as much as 30% too small, but the relative proportions of length and breadth measurements are entirely wrong as well, both undershooting and overshooting by a large margin (70% to 150%).
In Judge Massei's court, Professor Vinci, Sollecito’s expert witness attempted to argue that the footprint was actually that of Guede, but this was rejected by the judges on the basis of the measurements shown above. In addition, the court discounted the idea that Guede had ever been in his bare feet that evening. The visible shoe prints clearly showed that he had walked directly from Meredith’s room, down the hallway, and out of the door.
The severity of the impact on the defense is such that there was even a distorted photoshopped version circulated by online supporters of Raffaele and Amanda until they were caught out early on in coverage. But it is hopeless, because these are objective measurements, presented in court and recorded, in detail, in the judges' report.
- Dr. Stefanoni's Technical Assessment of Biologicals page 91. Also see Massei report translation, p.192
- Dr. Lorenzo Rinaldi's Testimony and Pietro Boemia's Testimony. Also see Massei report translation, pp. 351-355 for summary of information contained in the expert's testimony
- This tabular analysis was posted by SomeAlibi on the True Justice for Meredith Kercher blog. The numbers are all taken directly from the Massei Report.
- Massei Report translation, p. 354
- Massei Report translation, p.379
- See Truejustice.org, 26 Jun 2009