Oreste Volturno's Testimony (English)
Summary of Oreste Volturno's Testimony
Oreste Volturno was the police officer who testified to several matters:
- He was involved with the search of Raffaele Sollecito's apartment on November 8 and November 16 2007. Volturno testified that the apartment smelled of bleach when opened on November 8th after being closed for the three days prior due to Sollecito's arrest.Jump to Bleach Smell in Testimony Two bottles of bleach were seized from Sollecito's apartment on November 16th.
- Volturno also spoke to Natalia who did the cleaning at Sollecito's until his arrest. She stated that no bleach was present and would later testify that she was specifically instructed to not use bleach when she took over the job of cleaning from her friend Kiriboga who was pregnant. Kiriboga originally also said she did not know anything about the bleach but during a second interview she changed her story claiming she had used the bleach before. When Volturno asked why she said the opposite before Kiriboga explained that she did not remember the bleach and it was only while being interviewed by Sollecito's lawyer that she suddenly remembered the bleach. Jump to relevant part of testimony
- The search of Raffaele Sollecito's apartment led to the discovery of two bottles of bleach and Oreste Volturno attempted to discover the origins of this bleach by visiting merchants in the vicinity of Sollecito's apartment but he was unable to locate where or when the bleach was purchased. The defence proposed that the bleach was purchased before mid-October because of the price being the old manufacturer's suggested price which changed Oct 11 2007 although this is a specious argument since the bleach could also have been old stock still on the shelf on Nov 2.
- Volturno also investigated a €20 transaction with Meredith's bank cards that posted on November 2, 2007. It was determined that the transaction likely happened several days before and the delay in posting was due to the lag created by international transactions.
- Volturno investigated an informant tip that Raffaele Sollecito had previously attacked a girl with scissors. The officer travelled to Bari where Sollecito attended high school and while Sollecito's middle school records were available the high school records had been shredded. Volturno then testified that he attempted to interview the individual who was the Dean of the school at the time but that man refused to cooperate and was resisting answering questions. The police officer felt that the Dean was hiding something. With respect to previous bad behaviour Volturno was able to find that Sollecito had behavioural issues in middle school and that he was detained but not arrested for possession of two and a half grams of hashish. Jump to relevant part of testimony
- Volturno also ran wiretaps on the Sollecito family. The outcome of those was recordings of a plan to cover up and mislead the investigation into Meredith's murder. There were efforts made to pressure politicians to intervene. The recordings also revealed a plan by the Sollecito family to interfere with the investigation by enlisting the broadcaster Telenorba and the newspaper Panorama to leak evidence including images of Meredith's naked body. The Sollecito family would eventually be charged related to these acts but after successfully arguing for a change of venue to Bari the Bari prosecutor refused to proceed. The Sollecito's would later be implicated in another allegation of interference when Prison Informants stated that they were paid by Sollecito's family to lie at trial and cause confusion.
Oreste Volturno's Testimony (English)
GCM Giancarlo Massei Judge Presidente GM Giuliano Mignini Prosecutor Pubblico Ministero MC Manuela Comodi Prosecutor Pubblico Ministero OV Oreste Volturno Witness being questioned LM Luca Maori Sollecito defense lawyer Avvocato GB Giulia Bongiorno Sollecito defense lawyer Avvocato CDV Carlo Dalla Vedova Knox defense lawyer Avvocato LG Luciano Ghirga Knox defense lawyer Avvocato FM Francesco Maresca Kercher civil lawyer Avvocato INT Intervention
Transcript of testimony given in the hearing of 13 March 2009, pp. 177-213.
Depositions of the witness Oreste Volturno.
The witness, admonished pursuant to Article 497 of the Criminal Procedure Code, reads the oath.
Particulars: Chief Inspector Oreste Volturno, in service with the Flying Squad, Perugia Police; born at Montegabbione (TR), 12 June 1956.
Defense Counsel Maori
Defense Counsel Bongiorno
Defense Counsel Dalla Vedova
Kercher Civil Lawyer Maresca
- Kington, Tom italy.internationalcrime "Phone-tap drama in Meredith murder" The Guardian 22 June 2008
- Summary informations are part of the logistical paperwork of a criminal investigation and regulated by the criminal procedure code. My First Dictionary of Legal Matters says: “To acquire intelligence useful to the investigation, members of the investigative task force [the polizia giudiziaria] are able to collect summary informations from the suspect (Article 350 CPC) or from other persons (Article 351 CPC).” — il mio Primo Dizionario delle Materie Giuridiche, (2008) [Simone, 2008], p 546. ISBN 9788824469760. The Code provides strict regulation about how, when and where such information can be used, against whom and in which venue, and for what purposes and consequences.
- Mafia code of silence.