Marco Chiacchiera's Testimony (Hellmann) (English)
Summary of Marco Chiacchiera's Testimony
- Police officer testified to rebut Luciano Aviello's testimony.
- Chiacchiera testified about a unrelated murder in which Aviello was also involved. Salvatore Conte a mafia member was executed by Marcelo Russo on the orders of Salvatore Menzo because Conte's cocaine addiction made him unreliable and led him to talk too much.
- The police though communication intercepts had figured out Conte's murder but Aviello contacted Dr. Paci the prosecutor claiming to have useful details about the crime.
- In March 2008 Aviello was heard and he told a wild story involving various criminal enterprises, a series of murders, and even a plot to kill a magistrate using TNT. At first the police tried to confirm Aviello's story and that included digging up a field where he claimed bodies had been buried and a day trip where Aviello led the police on a fruitless search for a body that was also not there. The police eventually concluded that Aviello had just made all of it up.
- Chiacchiera was also tasked with investigating the claims Aviello made with respect to the murder of Meredith Kercher and he was able to confirm the following facts:
- Aviello had two cell phones during the period in which he claimed to be living in Perugia. Both were used but not once in that time frame did they ever connect to a cell tower in Perugia.
- Aviello claimed to be staying with Salvatore Menzo who was in the protective program but while Salvatore Menzo was in the protective program he was not being housed in Perugia.
- Chiacchiera was unable to locate a single person who had seen or interacted with Aviello in Perugia.
Marco Chiacchiera's Testimony
This is an English language translation of the testimony. See Marco Chiacchiera's Testimony for the original Italian transcript.
Translation of Chiacchiera's deposition at AK/RS appeals trial June 27, 2011. Translated from the Italian court transcript: Media:Testimony 06 27 11.pdf
Key to abbreviations CPH Claudio Pratillo Hellmann Judge Presidente GM Giuliano Mignini Prosecutor Pubblico Ministero MC Marco Chiarcchiera Witness being questioned CDV Carlo Dalla Vedova Knox defense lawyer Avvocato
THE WITNESS CAUTIONED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ARTICLE 497 OF THE CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, LEGAL PRACTICE FORMULA.
PRESIDING JUDGE -CPH: State your personal details, please.
Personal Details: I am Marco Chiacchiera, assistant vice Commissioner of the Polizia di Stato [State Police], currently Chief of the Flying Squad in Perugia; born October 5, 1965.
[Voices in background]
[Background and superimposed voices]
[Superimposed voices]