The Murder of Meredith Kercher
Meredith Kercher 1985-2007
Read full mission statement
Were Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede responsible for the death of Meredith Kercher? This wiki style site was created by a group of volunteer editors to inform the public about the case, by providing a unique collection of translations of original documents and evidence presented at trial.
Rudy Guede was convicted for his part in the murder in October 2008 (confirmed by the Supreme Court of Cassation in December 2010). In a separate trial, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were found guilty in December 2009 by the 1st instance court of Judge Massei. A subsequent appeal resulted in their convictions being (provisionally) overturned for the most part, in October 2011. This court upheld Amanda's conviction for calunnia, and increased her sentence to one commensurate with the time she had served so far.
This decision was appealed again by three sides: the prosecution and lawyers representing the Kercher family against the murder acquittal, and Amanda against her calunnia conviction. On March 26, 2013 the Supreme Court of Cassation finalized the calunnia conviction, nullified the acquittal, and ordered a new appeal. This appeal was held in Florence, starting in September 2013 and resulted in Knox and Sollecito's convictions being upheld.
On March 27, 2015 the Court of Cassation in a surprise decision annulled the convictions of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. This is a final decision on the murder conviction. Amanda Knox faces charges for making claims about police abuse, and she and Raffaele Sollecito face charges for defaming prosecutor G. Mignini in their books. With respect to the murder of Meredith Kercher, there will be no further criminal consequences for Knox and Sollecito. The motivation report for the March 27 annulment which was due in 90 days has now been delayed. We will post a translation when it is released.
The outcome is disappointing. It is our sincere and confident position that Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede all participated in the murder of Meredith Kercher. Our intentions in starting this site were to create an accurate and complete English version of the material generated by the court proceedings. We intend to continue with that objective by obtaining all available files and transcripts. Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been absolved by the Italian criminal justice system so the legal process is over but this site will remain for those who are interested in examining the evidence.
RIP, Meredith Kercher
For The Press
|Supreme Court judge Gennaro Marasca, giving an interview to Italian press Amanda Knox e Raffaele Sollecito, le prove erano insufficienti March 30, 2015, declared the court had found Knox and Sollecito not guilty due to insufficient evidence. (Art. 530.2 of the Italian penal code). This contradicts Knox's statement she had been found innocent.
It appears the court ruled on the evidentiary merits of the case as opposed to the legality of the appeals process, as it is required to do. Moreover, since it has not yet released the motivations report, we do not know how it proposes to resolve the contradictions between precedents established by previous Supreme Court rulings and the current one.
We have built up a unique collection of source documents relating to the case, including a near-complete set of original transcripts of witness testimony and court decisions from all the major court proceedings. As of 2015, we have added a new area known as the File library, where one can download these documents, images and other types of files, directly and indirectly related to the case. They are organized by principal topics and subtopics. The headings also reflect a little of the chronological development of the case. The links provided are to files that can be downloaded. For some sections where files are numerous, zip files are provided that contain the relevant individual files. The library will be an ongoing project, and we will post updates to the library here.
Latest files include a wide variety of documents: An updated Ricciarelli motivations report (under Arrest Trials); additional 2007 depositions; the 10/Nov/2007 prison intercept; various police docs; a color version of volume 5 police crime scene photos; additional 2008 investigation documents and reports; a Matteini 'incidente probatorio' of April 2008; Rinaldi & Boemia presentation slides during their Massei hearing, as well their commentary on Vinci's report; a Guede appeal; the last missing Hellmann transcript; various documents during Hellmann and Massei court proceedings, including some Aviello letters; the official copy of the Micheli report.
What's New at TMOMK Wiki?
- August 30, 2015: Catnip has translated 3 more pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report.
- August 24, 2015:13 new paragraphs (3-4 pages) of The Micheli Sentencing Report have been translated.
- August 9, 2015: File Library is undergoing changes to make the documents more accessible to readers.
- May 26, 2015: Translation of the next 25 pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report by Catnip. We now have almost half of the original Micheli report translated, 48 pages out of 106.
- May 21, 2015: Translation of the first ca. 20 pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report by Catnip.
- May 17, 2015: New files have been posted to File library: 2007 Investigations: Police work.
- May 16, 2015: Wiki translation of Rudy-Benedetti Skype chat on November 19, 2007.
- May 7, 2015: Catnip from PerugiaMurderFile.Org has completed a translation of Antonio Aiello's Testimony (English) (Kokomani's lawyer) to the Massei court.
- May 1, 2015: Phone intercepts and depositions and other police investigation files have been added to our document library here: File library: 2007 Investigations: Police work and here File library: 2008 Investigations.
- March 18, 2015: Sallyoo from PerugiaMurderFile.Org has completed a translation of pages 144-173 of Amanda Knox's testimony to the Massei court. We now have the complete translation of that testimony.
- March 15, 2015: This Wiki now has a "share it" button in the heading and also on the navigation pane to the left. This makes it easier to post individual articles on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ etc and share by e-mail to reporters and news editors.
- The motivations report that must be filed by the court within 90 days under Art. 544.3 Dispositivo dell'art. 544 Codice di Procedura Penale has been inexplicably delayed. Our legal analysts infer this means the court is having problems justifying its reasoning.
- March 28, 2015: The Judges who annulled the conviction were quoted in the Guardian as saying that Rudy Guede did not act alone but that the identity of Guede's accomplices has yet to be discovered. We find that anyone who takes the time to read the evidence will disagree with them. An investigation into the identity of these unknown accomplices has not been opened.
- The court annulled the conviction of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. We are disappointed in this surprising outcome and our sympathies are with the Kercher family.
- The Appeals of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito against the confirmation of their guilty verdicts in the trial of the first stage by Appellate Judge Nencini were heard by Rome's Supreme Court of Cassation on March 25, 2015. Knox was represented by attorneys Carlo dalla Vedova and Luciano Ghirga, and Sollecito by Giulia Bongiorno and Luca Maori. Final arguments were heard at 9:00 AM CET March 27, 2015. In an unprecedented move, Bongiorno was allowed to speak for two hours instead of the 15 minutes normally allowed for closing.
- Raffaele Sollecito is also being investigated in a preliminary hearing on charges of defamation brought against him by Umbrian Deputy Prosecutor General Giuliano Mignini for statements made in his book Honor Bound, mainly that Mignini entered into discussions with his lawyer Luca Maori to arrange a plea bargain. This has been denied by Mignini, and disavowed by his father and lawyer, since such pleas are illegal under Italian law. His co-writer, Andrew Gumbel, has contested the charges, saying he was merely a ghost writer for Sollecito. They have now been ordered to stand trial May 13, 2016, in Florence. (Andrea Vogt, Twitter) 
- Raffaele Sollecito filed a new, additional 306 page appeal on March 06, 2015, distancing himself from Amanda Knox, while referring to Rudy Guede's statements: 2015-03-06-Appeal-Supplementare-Bongiorno-Maori-Sollecito.pdf
|Transcripts & Translations
Transcripts, witness and professional expert statements, closing arguments, and rebuttals during the various trials. Summaries are in English and we are working towards translating all the transcripts into English. For transcripts not yet translated users of Chrome browser will allow you to machine translate the Italian transcripts into English or any language of your choice.|
Latest Changes 08-24-2015: A few more pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report have been translated by Catnip.
|A brief introduction to the Italian criminal justice system for readers more familiar with the Common Law system, as well as English translations of all the sentencing (Motivations) reports pertaining to the various trials Court Decisions. Please note that Italy has a three tier system, so the conviction is not finalized till the Supreme Court confirms the judgment of the appeal court. See particularly:
Published with gratitude to the team of unpaid translators and proofreaders at Perugia Murder File.