The Murder of Meredith Kercher
Meredith Kercher 1985-2007
Read full mission statement
Were Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede responsible for the death of Meredith Kercher? This wiki style site was created by a group of volunteer editors to inform the public about the case, by providing a unique collection of translations of original documents and evidence presented at trial.
We now have almost the complete case file. It will be posted after vetting to ensure that no sensitive images of Meredith Kercher are released.
Rudy Guede was convicted for his part in the murder in October 2008 (confirmed by the Supreme Court of Cassation in December 2010). In a separate trial, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were found guilty in December 2009 by the 1st instance court of Judge Massei. A subsequent appeal resulted in their convictions being (provisionally) overturned for the most part, in October 2011. This court upheld Amanda's conviction for calunnia, and increased her sentence to one commensurate with the time she had served so far.
This decision was appealed again by three sides: the prosecution and lawyers representing the Kercher family against the murder acquittal, and Amanda against her calunnia conviction. On March 26, 2013 the Supreme Court of Cassation finalized the calunnia conviction, nullified the acquittal, and ordered a new appeal. This appeal was held in Florence, starting in September 2013 and resulted in Knox and Sollecito's convictions being upheld.
On March 27, 2015 the Court of Cassation in a surprise decision acquitted Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. This is a final decision on the murder conviction. Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito face charges for defaming prosecutor G. Mignini in their books. With respect to the murder of Meredith Kercher, there will be no further criminal consequences for Knox and Sollecito, though further civil actions are possible. The motivation report explaining the court's decision was filed September 07, 2015. We will post a translation shortly.
The outcome is disappointing. It is our sincere and confident position that Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito, and Rudy Guede all participated in the murder of Meredith Kercher. Our intentions in starting this site were to create an accurate and complete English version of the material generated by the court proceedings. We intend to continue with that objective by obtaining all available files and transcripts. Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been found not guilty by the Italian criminal justice system so the legal process is over but this site will remain for those who are interested in examining the evidence.
RIP, Meredith Kercher
For The Press
- January 21, 2016: Rudy Guede, speaking publicly for the first time since the acquittal of his co-accused Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, granted a two hour long interview to Italy's RAI TV3 Le rivelazioni di Rudy Guede - Storie maledette in which he definitively placed Amanda Knox at the scene of the crime as well as implicating Raffaele Sollecito, making note that their presence had been confirmed by the Supreme Court ruling of March 26, 2015. He apologized to the Kercher family for not doing enough to help their daughter, but also denied having murdered her, and protested he should not be the only one to pay the price of imprisonment for it. He demanded a retrial of the facts. This interview, viewed by 1.5 million households in Italy with a share of 5.32%, has now been picked up by 400+ media outlets world-wide.
- March 30, 2015: Supreme Court judge Gennaro Marasca, giving an interview to Italian press Amanda Knox e Raffaele Sollecito, le prove erano insufficienti declared the court had found Knox and Sollecito not guilty due to insufficient evidence. (Art. 530.2 of the Italian penal code). This contradicts Knox's statement she had been found innocent.
The motivations report issued September 07, 2015 shows the court ruled on the evidentiary merits of the case as opposed to the legality of the appeals process, as it is required to do. Moreover, it does not resolve the contradiction between precedents established by previous Supreme Court rulings on this case.
We have built up a unique collection of source documents relating to the case, including a near-complete set of original transcripts of witness testimony and court decisions from all the major court proceedings. As of 2015, we have added a new area known as the File library, where one can download these documents, images and other types of files, directly and indirectly related to the case. They are organized by principal topics and subtopics. The headings also reflect a little of the chronological development of the case. The links provided are to files that can be downloaded. For some sections where files are numerous, zip files are provided that contain the relevant individual files. The library will be an ongoing project, and we will post updates to the library here.
We have uploaded CCTV footage of the garage. We've added camera 7 sequences. Others will be forthcoming.File library: CCTV videos
What's New at TMOMK Wiki?
- February 21, 2016: Translation of the last 25 pages (paragraphs 215 -328) of The Micheli Sentencing Report (apart from the costs and compensation orders, which will be translated later on) has been added to the Wiki, courtesy of Catnip.
- January 31, 2016: Translation of 10 more pages (paragraphs 206.51-214) of The Micheli Sentencing Report has been added to the Wiki, courtesy of Catnip.
- January 22, 2016: Latest update to File library: Master list includes a quick short list of Guede depositions, testimony and statements.
- January 21, 2016: Update for Rudy Guede interview.
- September 28, 2015: Catnip has translated about 6 more pages (paragraphs 206.25-206.50) of The Micheli Sentencing Report.
- September 18, 2015: A translation of Natalie Hayward's Testimony has been added to the Wiki.
- September 13, 2015: Catnip has translated about 6 more pages (paragraphs 206.1-206.25) of The Micheli Sentencing Report and Aida Colantone's and Edda Mellas's witness testimonies have been translated by Wiki members.
- September 12, 2015: The latest Supreme Court report (in Italian) was added to the Wiki.
- August 30, 2015: Catnip has translated 3 more pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report.
- August 24, 2015:13 new paragraphs (3-4 pages) of The Micheli Sentencing Report have been translated.
- August 9, 2015: File Library is undergoing changes to make the documents more accessible to readers.
- May 26, 2015: Translation of the next 25 pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report by Catnip. We now have almost half of the original Micheli report translated, 48 pages out of 106.
- May 21, 2015: Translation of the first ca. 20 pages of The Micheli Sentencing Report by Catnip.
- May 17, 2015: New files have been posted to File library: 2007 Investigations: Police work.
- May 16, 2015: Wiki translation of Rudy-Benedetti Skype chat on November 19, 2007.
- September 12, 2015:The delayed motivations report (in Italian) was finally published on September 7, 2015 and it has been added to the Wiki. The court decided that while there was evidence Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were present in the cottage during the murder the case they committed the crime was unproven.
- March 28, 2015: The judges who vacated the conviction were quoted in the Guardian as saying that Rudy Guede did not act alone but that the identity of Guede's accomplices has yet to be discovered. We find that anyone who takes the time to read the evidence will disagree with them. An investigation into the identity of these unknown accomplices has not been opened.
- The court vacated the conviction of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. We are disappointed in this surprising outcome and our sympathies are with the Kercher family.
- The Appeals of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito against the confirmation of their guilty verdicts in the trial of the first stage by Appellate Judge Nencini were heard by Rome's Supreme Court of Cassation on March 25, 2015. Knox was represented by attorneys Carlo dalla Vedova and Luciano Ghirga, and Sollecito by Giulia Bongiorno and Luca Maori. Final arguments were heard at 9:00 AM CET March 27, 2015. In an unprecedented move, Bongiorno was allowed to speak for two hours instead of the 15 minutes normally allowed for closing.
- Raffaele Sollecito is also being investigated in a preliminary hearing on charges of defamation brought against him by Umbrian Deputy Prosecutor General Giuliano Mignini for statements made in his book Honor Bound, mainly that Mignini entered into discussions with his lawyer Luca Maori to arrange a plea bargain. This has been denied by Mignini, and disavowed by his father and lawyer, since such pleas are illegal under Italian law. His co-writer, Andrew Gumbel, has contested the charges, saying he was merely a ghost writer for Sollecito. They have now been ordered to stand trial May 13, 2016, in Florence. (Andrea Vogt, Twitter) 
- Raffaele Sollecito filed a new, additional 306 page appeal on March 06, 2015, distancing himself from Amanda Knox, while referring to Rudy Guede's statements: 2015-03-06-Appeal-Supplementare-Bongiorno-Maori-Sollecito.pdf
|Transcripts & Translations
Transcripts, witness and professional expert statements, closing arguments, and rebuttals during the various trials. Summaries are in English and we are working towards translating all the transcripts into English. For transcripts not yet translated users of Chrome browser will allow you to machine translate the Italian transcripts into English or any language of your choice.|
Latest Changes 02-21-2016: Catnip has finished the translation of The Micheli Sentencing Report (apart from the costs and compensation orders, which will be translated later on).
|A brief introduction to the Italian criminal justice system for readers more familiar with the Common Law system, as well as English translations of all the sentencing (Motivations) reports pertaining to the various trials Court Decisions. Please note that Italy has a three tier system, so the conviction is not finalized till the Supreme Court confirms the judgment of the appeal court. See particularly:
Published with gratitude to the team of unpaid translators and proofreaders at Perugia Murder File.