Luca Altieri's Testimony (English)
Summary of Luca Altieri's Testimony
- Was at the cottage when Meredith's body was discovered on November 2. He had never met Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher, Raffaele Sollecito, or Rudy Guede.
- Engaged to Paola Grande who was at the fair with her friend Filomena Romanelli. Luca had just called Filomena's boyfriend Marco Zaroli to discuss meeting the girls for lunch when Paola informing him that there had been thieves at Filomena's house and that Filomena wanted Marco to go to the house but he didn't have his car so needed a ride. This happened at 12:15pm and Luca left immediately to get Marco.
- Asked what time they arrived at the cottage Luca stated no more than 30 minutes after the call so 12:45pm at the latest.
- Asked again on cross-examination Luca responded that he left immediately and that it is 10 minutes from his house to Marco's house and then 10-12 minutes from Marco's house to the house on Via della Pergola. Luca again states that they arrived 20 to 30 minutes after the 12:45pm call.
- There were two police officers, Amanda Knox, and Raffaele Sollecito in the kitchen when Luca arrived. Battistelli on the right of the table, his colleague a little closer to the head of the table, with Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito on the other side of the table.
- Luca also testified that the cell phones were on the table but the next day he recanted and said he misremembered and that what was on the table was actually the phone numbers on a piece of paper not the phones themselves.
- Filomena's room was a mess and the window had been broken with a rock that was on the ground. There were many valuable portable items in plain sight that had not been taken. There was a camera, a laptop, and on the bedside table a jewelry box containing Filomena's jewelry. Marco entered the room to open the jewelry box and confirm Filomena's jewelry was still there.
- They went to look outside and in Luca's opinion not even a "circus acrobat" could have climbed up with a rock.
- Asked when Filomena arrived Luca did not know but it was no more than 30 or 45 minutes after they arrived.
- Meredith's door was locked but Amanda with Raffaele translating said that was not a concern because Meredith locked her door all the time even to go to the bathroom to take a shower.
- When Filomena heard that the door was locked her reaction was different. Filomena became scared and said Meredith never locked her door except one time when she went home to England for a week. Filomena demanded that the police force open the door.
- Luca noticed that the door was already cracked. He asked Raffaele about the crack and Raffaele responded that he had already tried to force the door open.
- Luca volunteer to force open the door and he does not remember if it gave way on the third or fourth kick but he successfully opened the door. Luca does not know where Knox and Sollecito were when the door was forced open but they were not in a position to see into the room.
- Inspector Battistelli entered the room. Inspector Battistelli denies this.
- Sitting in Luca's car Amanda Knox said that there had been a turd in the bathroom toilet and that it was now gone. Luca said they should say something because that could mean that the killer was still in the house. Raffaele and Amanda left the car to tell the police and Luca saw them approach a brunette female of the homicide division.
- Asked how long it took the police to arrive Luca said a long time. 30 minutes or maybe 45 minutes from when Filomena and Paola arrived.
- Luca heard one of the doctors say that Meredith's throat had been cut. Paola was standing there so likely heard as well. Knox and Sollecito were not there but Luca told them about what he had heard in the car later.
- Altieri drove Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito to the police station.
Luca Altieri's Testimony
Luca Altieri's Testimony has not been translated to English yet. There are thousands of pages that require translation and the work is being done by volunteers so please be patient. In the meantime we have provided Luca Altieri's Testimony in Italian. For Google Chrome users if you right click on the Italian text the browser will allow you to machine translate the document.