Cosimo Zaccaro's Testimony (English)
Summary of Cosimo Zaccaro's Testimony
- Originally met Luciano Aviello in 1987 when they were both in P2 a section for informants at Ivrea prison but he did not know Aviello well since they did not spend much time together.
- Zaccaro is careful to state that everything he says is what Aviello told him and that he does not know if it is the truth or if Aviello was lying.
- Asked if Aviello was known to lie Zaccaro said he did not know him but that he was a charlatan so probably.
- Zaccaro told the court that Aviello had told him that he knew Alessi.
- Zaccaro testified that one day Aviello was crying and that led to them talking and Aviello confided in him that Sollecito was going to pay him to confuse the court.
- Zaccaro testified that Aviello had told him that he had been given €70,000 and that it was in a bank in San Paolo.
- Zaccaro testified that Aviello had a letter from Raffaele Sollecito thanking him for all he was doing for him.
- Zaccaro was asked about why he was in prison. His answer was a little bit of everything. Drug charges were mentioned as were fraud and theft. Zaccaro also had been charged three times and convicted twice of slander. His account of why he was in prison involved a hard to follow conspiracy and that he had previously been an secret government agent.
Cosimo Zaccaro's Testimony
This is an English language translation of the testimony. See Cosimo Zaccaro's Testimony for the original Italian transcript.
Translation of Zaccardo's deposition at AK/RS appeals trial June 27, 2011. Translated from the Italian court transcript: Media:Testimony 06 27 11.pdf
Key to abbreviations CPH Claudio Pratillo Hellmann Judge Presidente GC Giancarlo Costagliola Prosecutor Procuratore Generale CZ Cosimo Zaccardo Witness being questioned GB Giulia Bongiorno Sollecito defense lawyer Avvocato CDV Carlo Dalla Vedova Knox defense lawyer Avvocato MZ Massimo Zanetti Judge Consigliere
THE WITNES CAUTIONED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ARTICLE 497 OF THE CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, LEGAL PRACTICE FORMULA.
PRESIDING JUDGE -CPH: Please state your personal details.
Personal details: Cosimo Zaccaro, born at Canosa di Puglia, Bari, April 18, 1954.
Public Prosecutor GM: In 1987.
Defence Counsel G. Bongiorno: I object to the suggestive question.
Civil parties Counsel F. Maresca: Speak into the microphone otherwise we can’t hear you.
Civil parties Counsel F. Maresca: There’s objection President.
Defence Counsel C. Dalla Vedova: Absolutely, I’ll be very brief President. Lawyer Dalla Vedova for Knox…
Second Judge M. Zanetti: Listen excuse me, I did not understand…